Since I have been doing these projection shows, I have been on a quest to make my computer faster, and faster, and faster. It is never fast enough, and since I am coming up with more complex 3D constructions and more complex animation all the time, this is a never ending quest.
I started by buying the fastest maxed out 2.4 Ghz Quad Core MacPro in 2010, with four 1TB Hard Disks, 2 of them in a Harware Raid 0 array using the the top of the line Apple Raid Card, and 32GB of RAM and the best ATI Radeon Graphics Card . With the Monitor, that was a $10,000 machine back then... I did the two PTTR Shows with that machine and the 30 " Apple Cinema Monitor in 2011 and 2012.
Then I wanted to run 4 x 1920x 1080 monitors, and added a second matching Graphics Card. That worked for a while, and I did the first Light Dreams Show that way. But I had rendering times of 17 hours on some sequences, and the 3D work I was playing with was getting more complex.
I then wanted to have HDMI Video in and out, so I added a Black Magic Card, and live video processing required more power. The very fast 200 or so Mb/s read speed I was getting didn't cut it.
So I struck out hard, and replaced the four 1TB hard drives with four 412GB SSD's from OWC, and the two Radeon Graphic Cards with two faster GPU NVIDIA QADRO K 5000.
That was an expensive update, that I chose to do over buying one of the new Tin Can MacPros. I am not sure it was the right decision. There was a substantial increase in speed to over 400Mb/s, and the GPU on the Graphics card allowed Ray Tracing. I was disappointed to get only 400, I had hoped for 600 or even 700 Mb/s. The problem is the bottleneck of the SATA connections, and of the Apple RAID card. I switched to Software RAID, and the speeds remained the same.
There was a way to get faster, using the then new OWC Excelsior PCIe based card and put it in my RAID card slot. It has 2 SSDS in a Raid 0 array, and PCIe is much faster than eSATA, possibly allowing speeds of up to 820 Mb/s....I wanted the biggest one of course, and that was another $700, so I put it off...
I am finding now 5 weeks away from the show that I am still getting bogged down with long render times on the more complex sequences of the requiem, . So and I don't like to waste time. So, after talking to a rep that told me I could return it if I was not happy with the new speeds, I just decided to order the 960 Gb Excelsior Card:
http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/SSD/PCIe/OWC/Mercury_Accelsior/RAID
I am very excited, and can't wait to get it in a couple of days and see just how fast the machine gets! 820Mb/s would be a dream, but I would be happy with 700Mb/s...
I will have to install a new system on it, with minimal software to avoid bugs due to interferences, just the software that really needs these high speeds: After Effects of course, Photoshop, and later Isadora and Resolute Avenue.
I will keep you posted!
I started by buying the fastest maxed out 2.4 Ghz Quad Core MacPro in 2010, with four 1TB Hard Disks, 2 of them in a Harware Raid 0 array using the the top of the line Apple Raid Card, and 32GB of RAM and the best ATI Radeon Graphics Card . With the Monitor, that was a $10,000 machine back then... I did the two PTTR Shows with that machine and the 30 " Apple Cinema Monitor in 2011 and 2012.
Then I wanted to run 4 x 1920x 1080 monitors, and added a second matching Graphics Card. That worked for a while, and I did the first Light Dreams Show that way. But I had rendering times of 17 hours on some sequences, and the 3D work I was playing with was getting more complex.
I then wanted to have HDMI Video in and out, so I added a Black Magic Card, and live video processing required more power. The very fast 200 or so Mb/s read speed I was getting didn't cut it.
So I struck out hard, and replaced the four 1TB hard drives with four 412GB SSD's from OWC, and the two Radeon Graphic Cards with two faster GPU NVIDIA QADRO K 5000.
That was an expensive update, that I chose to do over buying one of the new Tin Can MacPros. I am not sure it was the right decision. There was a substantial increase in speed to over 400Mb/s, and the GPU on the Graphics card allowed Ray Tracing. I was disappointed to get only 400, I had hoped for 600 or even 700 Mb/s. The problem is the bottleneck of the SATA connections, and of the Apple RAID card. I switched to Software RAID, and the speeds remained the same.
There was a way to get faster, using the then new OWC Excelsior PCIe based card and put it in my RAID card slot. It has 2 SSDS in a Raid 0 array, and PCIe is much faster than eSATA, possibly allowing speeds of up to 820 Mb/s....I wanted the biggest one of course, and that was another $700, so I put it off...
I am finding now 5 weeks away from the show that I am still getting bogged down with long render times on the more complex sequences of the requiem, . So and I don't like to waste time. So, after talking to a rep that told me I could return it if I was not happy with the new speeds, I just decided to order the 960 Gb Excelsior Card:
http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/SSD/PCIe/OWC/Mercury_Accelsior/RAID
I am very excited, and can't wait to get it in a couple of days and see just how fast the machine gets! 820Mb/s would be a dream, but I would be happy with 700Mb/s...
I will have to install a new system on it, with minimal software to avoid bugs due to interferences, just the software that really needs these high speeds: After Effects of course, Photoshop, and later Isadora and Resolute Avenue.
I will keep you posted!

No comments:
Post a Comment