Sunday, March 13, 2016

Post 24: Working on the Dies Irae

    I found some great images to use in the Requiem. The problem as always is to find high quality images in hight definition. Things have gotten much better since the days when pictures on the internet were something like 400x800 or less. It has become common for people to post stuff straight our of their camera. Still, amateur pictures are often badly framed, badly lighted, and badly exposed, and I am looking for the best possible images. Also, I need mostly images shot straight on, and many pictures reshot at an angle. Furthermore, my canvas is a huge 5760 pixels wide, and images that big are hard to find.
  So in a way, the project has been influenced by my lucky finds. 
   Different sequences require different approaches. Some I work on in a linear way from start to finish. Others, especially the longer ones, I work on in sections. That is the case with the Dies Irae. I did the beginning linearly, but am now working on "snippets" that will be joined later wit transitions.
  For example, I knew I wanted to do a section on the famous "Martyrs of Compiègne", the whole convent of 16 Carmelites that were guillotined together on July 17, 1794, one of the very last days of the "Terreur". Georges Bernanos wrote a book, and Francis Poulenc an Opera about them. The youngest was 30, the oldest 80. My pickings were slim, nuns didn't get their portrait painted very often, but I am putting together a short hommage, and an also doing a section on the treatment of other "refractaire" priests and nuns that refused to swear allegiance to the Republic when the Churches were taken over and the convents closed.
  I am also doing a small section on Madame du Barry, born Jeanne Bécu, courtisane, and long time Favorite of the former King Louis XV, also executed towards the end of the "Terreur". 

No comments:

Post a Comment