Sunday, June 7, 2015

Post 8: First Creative Meeting

    Everybody came to my house early Thursday as planned, and we sat in the living room with a glass of wine, first to get to know Carlos better, and second to start to figure out what his vision was for that Requiem Projection, and the future of things at ASO in general.
  Most importantly, I got to ask the question that had been on my mind and was really my biggest concern: how are we going we keep the images and the music in synch over the course of a 5 minutes movement. I had already decided to start a new video with each movement, but that is not enough.
  Preuit and I had tried to come up with ways to do that, with advice from one of his old LA Symphony friends. Would Carlos consider using some kind of click track, or at least give us a basic music track, or would he be willing to follow visual cues to help keep the music in synch with the images.
  The answer to all those was a very nice no, which I expected after watching him conduct rehearsals, and actually totally understand. He wants to retain the option to "go with the inspiration" (my words), and adjust the tempo at will at any moment of each performance, depending on the genius of a particular soloist that day, or simply his mood or that of the audience.
   That puts the ball totally in my corner when it comes to having a particular visual effect exactly synchronized with a particular sound in the performance. I will need to know the score perfectly, and be able to anticipate every key moment. I wish I could read music... Pierre said somebody would help me.
  In simple words, there will be no continuous video set to an approximate music track,not even on per movement, but rather dozens of short video snippets that will need to be manually cued and launched exactly at the correct instant preceding a key sound,  drum roll, trumpet call, crescendo, etc... That is a totally new way to work for me, and  more akin to a live performance than my previous efforts. A bit like VJing, but with video clips instead of loops, and with utmost precision. Scary indeed. The BAD THING is that if I miss a cue, there is no going back. The GOOD THING is that if I miss a cue, I can still get the next one right!
   If Resolume Avenue VJ Software was able to handle multiple layers of full HD loops without skipping, that would be an option, but I don't think it can. At least, my current version won't. I just install the new version and will see if it works better
   I will also look into using QLab and Isadora, both of which can cue video on the touch of a key, or with a MIDI input.

No comments:

Post a Comment