Thursday, April 7, 2016

Post 36: Fun in Purgatory is Possible

   Well, I did get a loaner machine yesterday, installed the software, transferred my files to it, installed more bits of software, codecs, fonts, etc...  Finally got around late last night to trying to render the Offertories, and the machined turned out to be unable to do it. It is after all a 2009 MacPro, with less memory, slower disks, and a more basic graphics card that doesn't seem beefy enough to handle the Ray Tracing that makes the beautiful curves of the theatre possible... Bummer!
  So, after a short ray of hope, I am back to plan B, and will keep plodding along on the Bosh sequence and trying to get my machine to cooperate with the problematic Ray Tracing that I cannot do without...
   I have been cutting out interesting details from the paintings, and having them interact with the vast moving background of the whole paintings, and the effect is quite striking and interesting. The originals are fairly large Altarpieces, but there is such a huge amount of detail, scenes within the painting, scenes within scenes, and so many strange creatures interacting in strange and often humorous ways that there is almost no way to really see them without a magnifying glass. And the computer can be a fabulous magnifying glass, multiplied even by more by the sheer size of the projection screen. Details that are less than an inch on the original can be blown up to 10 feet, and that leads to very to interesting discoveries indeed.
   One can't help but be wondrous at the concoctions and contraptions the genius or madness of the Artist came up with. No doubt some will see him as a sick mind, borderline psychopath, letting loose his basest instincts laying out a collection of sins and punishments...I see it as an exceptional display of creativity and imagination, with  great beauty in the depiction of terrible things, a gift for composition on an unprecedented scale, and a brushwork so skillful a mere lash or dot can suggest more than one would ever expect...





  The more I look at the details, the more evidence I find that Bosh was playing tricks both with the viewers and the patrons who commissioned the pieces... Or may be the patrons were smart enough and progressive enough to go along with Bosh numerous "in jokes" and "hidden tricks"...The masses were likely just scared to Death and unable to get it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment