Saturday, November 28, 2015

Post 24: Full scale Test coming up in the Concert Hall

   I have not been working on this project very much in the last month or so because of other projects, and also because I have been waiting for Carlos and his team to take a look at all the clips I have so far and give me some feedback. I don't want to waste time pushing too far the development of something they might not like.
   I attended the performance of Beethoven's Ninth that Carlos masterfully conducted a couple of weeks ago with a large chorus.Seing the chorus occupying every seat all the way up the sides made me realize that it would make it difficult to drape the fabric evenly all across to get a continuous screen.
   I had noticed doing a projection test in the studio that the animation of the camera dancing through the Virtual Portrait Gallery does not play very well on angled side panels, and would work better on a flat screen. Also, the triple screen as we first envisioned it would be quite far from the balcony seats, and people on the far left and far right would get only a partial view. Furthermore, if the screen is behind the chorus, the singers will not be able to see the images, and will have the projectors shining in their eyes.
   As a possible solution to all of these problems, I am considering using instead a single length of fabric 10 ft wide and 54 ft long stretched across the stage high above the orchestra:


   I am not exactly sure at the moment what would be the best location and height, so I asked Adam if and when we could do a projection test during the day, that would allow Carlos and his staff to watch my 6 Test Clips full scale in the concert hall, and give me the feedback I need to continue the project.
   We settled on December 1, so we will be setting up in the morning, and doing the final projection test in the afternoon, hopefully with 3 projectors.
   Since there is no panel left long enough, I went ahead and purchased a bolt of the same fabric we draped the building with for Light Dreams. We will hang it roughly above the podium using eyelets and cord, and see just how things look from different perspectives.  

No comments:

Post a Comment