Wednesday, September 9, 2015

Post 20: A Paper Versailles in Construction

    I found a set of paper models showing the evolution of Versailles from the small original Castle built by Louis XIII over the old hunting lodge to the grand palace at the end of the long reign of Louis XIV. The plates are unfortunately not high definition, and that will limit what I can do with it. I have a large scale blueprint of the grounds of Versailles, but the gardens are so huge that the footprint of the castle on the blueprint is actually tiny. Still, I used it as sort of ground perspective to erect the paper castle on in 3D in After Effects. 



     I then did a short animated test of the walls rising out of the ground and the roofs flipping over to see if it was workable:

                                                  CHATEAU 1 PAPER TEST 2


    I do wish I had a better model with more detail allowing for close ups, but this is the small original structure and the castle got much larger over the years:


   I think it is worth the effort to pursue this direction for one of the sequences.
   The plates are designed to be cut out and folded, so it will take a good deal of work separating all the sections of walls and roofs as separate png files:



No comments:

Post a Comment