There will be a number of technical issues to resolve, most of them thank God being in Adam's court... He has two great 5K projectors, and will have to procure a third one to match.
The animation I am developing in After Effects for the show is 5640 pixels Wide x 1080 pixels High, to span the entire width of the 3 fabric panels with three 1920 x 1080 projectors.
We will need a Triple Head Matrox Box or similar device to split that ultra wide image between the 3 projectors. I just went ahead and ordered one from B&H with Mini Display Port Input, and 3 DVI Outputs :
I am not sure at this point whether we should have a slight overlap between the images or not. This is something we may have to test live...
The subject of Real Live Tests is critical to me. I am well aware that we will have the third rental projector only a few days before the show, when it is too late to redo anything. I cannot take that chance, and plan to do thorough testing from the start on a scaled down setup.
I already have a wonderful ultra short throw Mitsubishi 3K 720p projector. For an unexplained reason, these were either unavailable for the last year or so,or very expensive, but just I luckily just found a batch for sale at a very good price. My friend Christophe bought one, and I just ordered a second one for myself. That makes 3 between us. I am actually seriously wondering about ordering a third one while they are available, as I have a Frida Kahlo project on hold that would require four...I will use the Matrox Box to connect them to my computer. Here goes my budget...
Anyhow, I will shortly have access to 3 identical 3K projectors, and plan to drape a 60" High x 26ft Wide fabric panel high up in my studio ceiling in a configuration similar to the final setup, to be able to test the show at roughly 1/4 size as it progresses to completion along the course of the coming year.
A very serious technical issue is actually in my and Carlos' court, and we will have to debate the possible solutions very carefully.
The issue is the timing of the images to the music. It is not a huge issue in the slow rather contemplative first parts of the Requiem. But when the Dies Irae hit hard with trumpets and drums, and continues with numerous dramatic moments, it is going to be crucial that the timing be correct within a split second. How do we achieve that, we will have to figure out... It is very difficult to speed up or slow down a video on the fly to match the music. I will no doubt have a separate movie for each section of the Requiem, and click the Start button when the conductor lift's his baton. But what if there is a slight drifting over the course of a particular movement.
Movie sound track conductors and drummers commonly use a click track, but it is a big constraint. There is another concept around used in Cubase called "Hit Points", or "Markers". Might we use a version of that?
It is also possible through live audio analysis to automatically trigger images. Nut that would not make for a very smooth video, would it?
Back to Square one. Anybody out there, please help!
Pictures of the setup coming soon...
The animation I am developing in After Effects for the show is 5640 pixels Wide x 1080 pixels High, to span the entire width of the 3 fabric panels with three 1920 x 1080 projectors.
We will need a Triple Head Matrox Box or similar device to split that ultra wide image between the 3 projectors. I just went ahead and ordered one from B&H with Mini Display Port Input, and 3 DVI Outputs :
I am not sure at this point whether we should have a slight overlap between the images or not. This is something we may have to test live...
The subject of Real Live Tests is critical to me. I am well aware that we will have the third rental projector only a few days before the show, when it is too late to redo anything. I cannot take that chance, and plan to do thorough testing from the start on a scaled down setup.
I already have a wonderful ultra short throw Mitsubishi 3K 720p projector. For an unexplained reason, these were either unavailable for the last year or so,or very expensive, but just I luckily just found a batch for sale at a very good price. My friend Christophe bought one, and I just ordered a second one for myself. That makes 3 between us. I am actually seriously wondering about ordering a third one while they are available, as I have a Frida Kahlo project on hold that would require four...I will use the Matrox Box to connect them to my computer. Here goes my budget...
Anyhow, I will shortly have access to 3 identical 3K projectors, and plan to drape a 60" High x 26ft Wide fabric panel high up in my studio ceiling in a configuration similar to the final setup, to be able to test the show at roughly 1/4 size as it progresses to completion along the course of the coming year.
A very serious technical issue is actually in my and Carlos' court, and we will have to debate the possible solutions very carefully.
The issue is the timing of the images to the music. It is not a huge issue in the slow rather contemplative first parts of the Requiem. But when the Dies Irae hit hard with trumpets and drums, and continues with numerous dramatic moments, it is going to be crucial that the timing be correct within a split second. How do we achieve that, we will have to figure out... It is very difficult to speed up or slow down a video on the fly to match the music. I will no doubt have a separate movie for each section of the Requiem, and click the Start button when the conductor lift's his baton. But what if there is a slight drifting over the course of a particular movement.
Movie sound track conductors and drummers commonly use a click track, but it is a big constraint. There is another concept around used in Cubase called "Hit Points", or "Markers". Might we use a version of that?
It is also possible through live audio analysis to automatically trigger images. Nut that would not make for a very smooth video, would it?
Back to Square one. Anybody out there, please help!
Pictures of the setup coming soon...

No comments:
Post a Comment