Wednesday, May 27, 2015

Post 2; Where are we Culturally?

  Until the turn of the new century, most people were more or less able to sit and just listen to music, whether live, on stereo speakers, or inside their skull on their mp3 player.
   But the 15 years of this 21st Century have seen an incredible shift in the behavior of the average 20 something, and even the 30 and 40 something crowd has been largely affected by the incredible worldwide spread of the SMART PHONE. 
  No kidding, just like the birth of the iPod and iTunes had changed the way we bought and listened to music, the advent of the iPhone has changed everything about he way we live and behave every hour of the day. Apple has been the single most important game changer.
  When I say WE though, I leave myself out, with the few other old farts that resist the trend and leave their (unfortunately necessary) smart phone OFF and mum in their pocket, just in case it might be needed in an emergency. I have no monthly plan, nobody knows my cell number, not even I, so it never rings (except occasionally to wake me up), and I don't know the first thing about texting of getting messages I don't want to read anyway...
   I know, I am a dinosaur, but the GOOD THING is that because I don't spend (I actually wanted to say waste) any time talking, texting or playing games on a touch screen (I just read a report that the average Japanese youth spends 10 hours a day on their smart phone, a statistic that boggles my old fashion mind...) I have a lot of time on my hands to think and work on the computer to produce Audio Visual Works of Art. 
   After a lifetime of designing, building things, drawing, painting and sculpting, the computer has since the turn of the Century become my main tool. I use it to create Photography, Animation, 3D sets, Produce Mapped Architectural Projections, and collaborate with other Artists on various Projects involving dance, music, live video feed, computer processing, and projection of processed images.



   We have a new multi tasking younger generation on our hands that is unable to just sit still and silent in a dark concert hall, close their eyes, and simply listen to beautiful music. They will at the vey least be working their smart phone at the same time, snapping selfies and emailing them to their friends, while texting their mom, playing games, and answering phone calls. 

   In order to hold this new "Smart Phone Generation" attention, projected images accompanying the music seem a very good idea, and some of the major Symphony Orchestras around the world have been doing it.

   The latest State of the Art "super duper" Concert Hall, The New World Center in Miami, was designed by leading American Architect Frank Gehry to include both a huge projection wall on the outside:




 and huge curved white sound panels on the inside that double as projection screens:




    I believe Gehry's design will become the standard for all future concert halls.

   The same Frank Gehry had designed previously the very graphic Disney Hall for the L.A. Symphony, with it's "extravagantly deconstructed" Organ:



 and it lends itself to projections too, though more limited in nature before of the numerous complex geometric shapes, and the wood color. It possibly lends itself better to Architectural Mapping:




   They have successfully done projection on suspended stainless steel "sails":




    The Sydney Opera has been leader for years in this movement, going as far as having a live projection performance on the whole huge outside "sails" and inside of the building during a performance of the Symphony Orchestra. They have done innumerable projections of every style on the outside:








as well as a few memorable ones inside:








    I have only seen the shows on YouTube, and they looked fabulous... I wish I could travel on a magic carpet there to see them in person.

   BUT this kind of large scale show costs A LOT of "green". The large 40K projectors they use are worth several hundred thousand dollars each, and rent for 3 or 4 Grands a day. They probably need at least five or more. Over the years, they have spent millions of dollars on light shows.
   Out of the question for the ASO in little Birmingham, Alabama, at least for the moment. We can always drool and hope for generous sponsors
   For this "Première Projection", we can afford three 5K's on three fabric panels, and that will do just fine.
   I am confident we can do a great show with our limited ressources, and hope it all works out so well that we can go to 5, may be 7 projectors next time to get a more fully immersive "wrap around" effect.

No comments:

Post a Comment